Dev Log (03/20/2022)

Warehouse Management/Ordering Portal
First, this project will now be known as ‘Horizon’ as that’s what I named the demo database. Last update, I said that I had completed the warehouse locations (name, aisle, location) database tables. That’s true, minus a few errors that I had to fix over the past couple weeks. One issue that I still have is when the system lists all of the locations, it will list aisles 1 – 15 like so; 1, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. This is due to the location being capable of being a word and therefore, the system sorts it alphabetically. I need to sort it alphanumerically but I’m not sure how to do that since the location can be words or numbers. This is not currently a huge concern though.

Most of the work since the last update has gone into the inventory system itself. One of the tasks that is mostly completed is the importing of all of the products. This is a task that requires the user to download a template, fill in all the information, give the new completed file back to the website, then through the power of magic (and about 1,000 lines of PHP code) the system imports every product you have submitted. I’ve never actually made an import system this complicated so I’m pretty proud of this. A feature that I made sure to include is the option to enter any of the 3 possible ‘Client’ types. For each ‘Client’ entry, there are 3 unique fields. There is the client’s name (HyperDirect), the client code (Hyper) and the sequential number from when it was added to the database (1). I made the import so the user can submit any of those as the product owner and, for the sake of consistency, it will always be submitted to the database as the client’s name (HyperDirect.)

The last part I was working on is the importing of all of the products into the locations they’re already in. Even though we really shouldn’t need to import too much after the system is up and running, it shouldn’t be too different from a manual import, so I figured I’d add this to the system as well.

To update you on the problems I had in the last post;
Product Code Mismatch
I’ve decided to go with the three codes I mentioned (Our Code, Inventory Code, and the Clients Code) in the last post. Most of the time the system will default to display the ‘Our Code’ option but there is still the ability to have a product in the warehouse before the warehouse receives ‘Our Code’
Inventory Inputting
I haven’t made any progress involving the issue of duplicate location names.
This system has been put on hold for an unknown amount of time to make room for another project my employer has me working on.

KnowTheSinger

This is the project that I mentioned in the other dev log as ‘A Website That Will Help You Track How Much A Musician Swears’ except now it’s named. That’s pretty much the entire update about this to. I bought two domains for it; knowthesinger.com & knowtheperformer.com and I also created a basic logo. I’m not a huge fan of how the E in ‘THE’ looks but it’s at least good enough for now. I plan to have a little bit more of an update on this one during the next update.

BUMPit Tracking
I haven’t mentioned this one as I don’t want the idea to be stolen but this is a Health and Fitness system with it’s main feature being the Meal Planning. It has a simple feature that I haven’t seen on any other app that should help it be considered as ‘better’ than the other trackers. Most of this systems planning has been done mentally and there isn’t a whole lot physical to show about it at this moment. I have decided to push my skills as a developer/programmer by creating this as a mobile application specifically for Android using Kotlin.


A New Project
This is the project that is replacing Horizon at my full-time job. Not much has come up from this yet but it has potential to be really cool. Currently, it’s just in its planning phase.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.